Many of you have been in situations where you wanted to ask a question to gain a better understanding of a topic, subject or perspective, but failed to do so for many reasons – societal norms, fear, etc.
But today is the day that all changes. Asking questions is good and for the following reasons because it helps you:
1. Acquire knowledge
2. Eliminate confusion
3. Signal to others you’re listening – which usually makes those around you feel special/important
4. Guide a conversation in the direction you or your peers want it to go
5. Gain empathy through better understanding of other’s views
6. Influence/alter your own or someone else’s opinion/view through a better understanding of a topic/subject
7. Begin a relationship and strengthen existing ones
8. Show those around you that you have knowledge on a specific topic
9. Stimulate creativity and helps in generating ideas
10. To gain a person’s attention
11. Solve a problem
12. Reach an agreement or to “agree to disagree” with clarity
So now that you know why asking questions is important, go out and start asking questions because assuming is never a good thing.